Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 29 - Day "Off"

Howdy.

It's  10:52 PM.  Just got back from our first choir concert.  I have to say that it was one of the highlights of  my "young" life!  My fellow Baritone, Claine (I don't know his last name) did O Sole Mio - in Italian, of course - and it was so good that I cried.  Claine's father was Gregor McHardy's voice instructor at BYU, and apparently Claine has grown up singing, as well as doing opera, etc.  Not only was his voice beyond description (not to mention his Italian!), but the "acting" and gesturing as if he were actually pleading with his love (the subject of the song), were beyond compare.  I had never seen anything like it, and was so moved by it.

Meanwhile, I will only say that having music in our lives to this degree is a true blessing.  I have to somehow figure out how to start a school with Gregor and Lorri his wife.  It would be for voice, instrument, choral singing, etc.  Certainly both Lorri and Gregor have the credentials as well as the experience. I would, of course, teach architecture, and Jan could teach culinary arts.  Gregor is a computer geek, and knows all about non-profits.  I believe are working together in the temple was not an accident.  I also believe (hope?) that the old Ellsworth ranch house would make an excellent venue.  It has an indoor pool, which could be filled in or covered over, and used as an assembly room for both choral and speaking events.  Meanwhile, it is sitting on 50-60 acres or more.

Didn't write at all today, as I spent the entire day rehearsing the thirteen songs that we performed tonight.  I had all of them memorized, although I didn't know (or perform) the music perfectly.  All in all, I was grateful that my preparation enabled me to do well enough, although I look forward to doing much better.

I also want to say that the whole gift and experience of music is a powerful and liberating one, that we should all have in our lives to as great a degree as possible.  It is such a blessing, and a cleansing influence.  It is all about light, spirit, and harmonics - the most powerful of creative agents.   I can only say thank you to my Father in Heaven for allowing me to participate.  I am truly humbled and grateful.

Good night!

Mr. Ballantyne

No comments:

Post a Comment