Evenin', Mam!
It is 9:49, and it's been a great day. Spent several hours this morning preparing my Primary lesson - which I didn't have to teach as we rehearsed for next week's musical program - went to church at 1:00, got out at 4:00, and went over to my son Thomas' house for dinner with a number of our children and grandchildren. Got home at 7:30 or so and spent the last several hours practicing a number of the songs for our upcoming choir concert in just under four weeks. Tough but beautiful stuff! This is definitely an opportunity for us (Jan and me) to grow, as we are definitely not in the same league with most of the people in our new choir, Resonance Vocal Ensemble. In any case, we are delighted to have been accepted, and will make sure that we are prepared!
Just want to make a few comments on how I believe I arrived at my current "occupation" or line of projects. In a nutshell, while needing work in order to "survive," I have looked at a number of possible paths, but the one that I essentially decided I would do for the rest of my life was Historic Architecture. I also decided that I would somehow produce my Component Building System, The Jewel. Because I made those two decisions, I was lead to my current focus on outdoor arbors and yard & garden structures. I am making each one an historic architectural style, and they are also component systems. In other words, they are designed and produced as a "kit of parts."
The style of the first for my son-in-law Adam Seever, was Craftsman - at least in its detailing. The second, for his father, Bart Seever, is decidedly Gothic - perhaps my favorite of all styles. So far I have designed one for his front entry way, and three or four for his back yard. Three of those are interlocking, and go right next to his rear porch, while one is a pavilion in the back corner of the yard, above a fountain. He may or may not build all of these, but they will be great for showing others in any case, but I digress....
The key point I wish to make here is that my circumstances started to change when I made the decision that I was going in this certain direction "come hell or high water." We call that making a commitment, but it was really just a matter of deciding. Once I did that, things began to change. It took about ten weeks from the time I made the decision to where the opportunity to an actual paying project came about. I believe I described it in the first post, entitled "Day 1 - The Beginning."
In any case, I am beginning to understand now that this is where my focus must be, and where it must remain. I am absolutely convinced that my decision is the reason that things have begun to change. I am also absolutely certain that things will begin to go in the right direction from this point on. I have made a decision, and there is power in that.
As Geothe said: "Whatever we can do, or think we can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." While I love - and am in complete favor of - boldness, I believe the genius, magic, and power flow from making an initial decision, in this case what I was going to do with my life. Now maybe I could have still gone and gotten some kind of a job - any kind of a job - while I pursued my architectural ideals on the side, but I didn't. I just started doing the most ambitious historical architectural project I have ever undertaken.
I went and photographed the Rosson House in downtown Phoenix, and set about to do exterior elevations of it, followed by a fully-detailed exterior model. (It has windows on every elevation which allow one to see in and through the building, but no walls on the inside at this point.) It took me 100 days to complete the model - and that after 2-4 weeks drawing the two primary exterior elevations.
The opportunity to do the first arbor for Adam came about 10 weeks (or 70 days) after starting the model, so 30 days before completing it, but 2 1/2 months after starting. So I worked for 2 1/2 months without pay before even getting a chance to do a project that would pay a little. It took me probably two months before I actually got the money and the go-ahead to do the project, and then another 3 months to complete it. I made perhaps $3 per hour, but it was worth its weight in gold because of what it will mean in the long run.
As indicated in the first post, I believe, the day I finished the first arbor, Adam's father Bart came over and told me he wanted one or more for his front and back yards. So, things began to fall into place. A friend at church who happens to be a vice-president at Bank of America came up today at church and told me that he had seen the arbor I did for Adam. It turns out he's Adam's banker. Another brother-in-law of Adam told him that he too wanted one. I believe that the demand will be high.
The main thing I know is that I can not only design these well, but I can present them very well as 3d computer models, so I believe people are going to buy. I will also make my prices however low they need to be to get each job. I care about getting these beautiful things built, more than I care about the money for now. That being the case, I am confident that the money will come in due time. What I am committed to is working and building as many of these as I can. I am also, of course, committed to making them individual creations or works of art, of the highest quality. So far, everyone seems to love what they have seen.
The truth is, they haven't seen anything yet! The arbors that I am designing for Bart should blow people away. It is great to be doing something that I know I am outstanding at. It is this confidence that will make me successful, as well as my commitment to the quality of both the design and the construction. Quality is my bottom line!
Good night, and happy Labor Day tomorrow. I will spend it working in my "new" profession! I am thankful, and I am stoked! Everyone should be doing what he or she believes in and is passionate about. I am going to eat, drink, and sleep historic architecture and yard & garden structures. This is what I do now, and I will do everything in my power to do and be my best! I said "the" best, but I realize that I am not competing with anyone else. I am only competing with myself. If I do my best, there will be plenty of opportunity for me and anyone else who wants to do this. We will each be rewarded by what we do. I am in love with this idea, and I am fully confident that it will work...and work big!
Good night (again)!
Seacrest out!
No comments:
Post a Comment