Well,
It's Friday night and I finally got the model of the first rear arbor done for Bart Seever. (I actually spent several weeks building a model of the existing house!) I'm afraid I got a little too technical with the design. I was trying to work out some of the basic fabrication and connection details, which caused me to take much longer designing and building the model. I learned many years ago, back when I was still hand drafting, that one should separate design from drafting. It has always been my nature to work out all of the construction details. I have always considered architecture to be the built object, and not just a drawing or a design. Drawings are simply a means to an end. Models, on the other hand, come close to being an end in themselves!
I met with an experienced builder today - a friend, who is also somewhat retired. I was hoping that he would help me set up my company, but he seemed too set in his ways to catch the vision. It seems that what I need is a young person that I can train from the ground up. It is often the case that those who know "how thins have always been done" are unable to see things or approach things from a new perspective. In a sense, they know too much. That is why I may ultimately succeed at changing the way houses and buildings are built. I'm not too steeped in the traditional building processes. I am familiar with construction in general, but I am still more of a designer and inventor than a builder.
I am now becoming a builder, however, and I intend to make the beautiful affordable by employing technology, manufacturing, and mass production. I know what I want the end products to be (beautiful, even pristine), and I will simply figure out how to achieve the desired result. This is the ultimate exercise in thinking outside of the box!
Tomorrow I do the next two phases of the main rear arbor. It should be beautiful! I believe it will....
Good night, all!
TMB - Master Builder
No comments:
Post a Comment